You were out late last night, and now ordering one for the road doesn’t seem like such a good idea. You’ve got a headache, dry mouth, and the entire world sounds too loud. But what can you do other than moan, groan, or suffer in silence?
At Concierge IV Nutrition, conveniently located in Beverly Hills, California, we’ve got a remedy for your hangover ills — our proprietary hangover IV therapy. Our expert team of providers knows how brutal the day after can be, so we’ve packed our infusion full of essential vitamins and minerals to get you back to yourself in about an hour.
What causes a hangover?
While the obvious answer might be “alcohol,” the hangover is really caused by alcohol’s effects on various parts of your body. These include:
- Dehydration: Alcohol makes you urinate more often, so it’s easy to become dehydrated, leading to headaches, dizziness, and thirst
- Gastrointestinal effects: Alcohol increases acid production and can change the speed with which food passes through the GI tract; associated with nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Electrolyte imbalance: Imbalances contribute to headaches, irritability, and weakness
- Immune system effects: Alcohol can impair immune system function; temporary changes lead to nausea, decreased appetite, and inability to concentrate
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia):Alcohol limits sugar production, leading to fatigue, dizziness, and irritability
- Dilated blood vessels (vasodilation):Alcohol widens blood vessels, often creating headaches
- Breakdown molecules: Alcohol breakdown produces toxins that damage cells, especially in the brain; cells need time to recover after toxins flush from the body
- Difficulty sleeping: Alcohol makes you sleepy, but it prevents good-quality sleep; you feel drowsy and hungover the next day
Congeners are byproducts of the alcohol fermentation process, and they’re what give drinks their distinctive flavor. They’re present in greater concentrations in dark-colored drinks and are associated with more severe hangovers.
The start of hangover IV therapy
The idea of using an IV infusion to help combat a hangover dates to 2012. An enterprising Las Vegas anesthesiologist came up with “Hangover Heaven,” a mobile IV unit that would come to your home or hotel to provide a hangover remedy. Since then, units have popped up all over the country. The infusions are most effective if you’re seriously dehydrated from vomiting or diarrhea.
At Concierge IV Nutrition, our IV therapy battles fatigue, headaches, nausea, and dry mouth. It provides a blend of essential vitamins and minerals that include:
- Thiamine (vitamin B1)
- Methylcobalamin (vitamin B12)
- B complex
- Vitamin C
And you can choose to add glutathione, an antioxidant, to the mix if you desire.
You can come into our office to receive your infusion, or we can come to you at either your home or hotel. We even offer group discounts if you and your friends are all feeling the effects of your night out.
To learn more about the benefits of IV therapy for hangovers, or for any other condition, call Concierge IV Nutrition at 424-260-8912, or book your appointment online today.